This article answers:
- What Is The Northern Ireland Protocol?
- Why Is It Being Introduced?
- What Impact Will the Northern Ireland Protocol Have On the Medical Devices sector?
What Is The Northern Ireland Protocol?“The Northern Ireland Protocol necessitates checks and customs controls on goods entering Northern Ireland from Great Britain. To a lesser extent, it necessitates some controls on goods leaving Northern Ireland and going to Great Britain. The exact extent of both such checks and controls are to be agreed in an EU UK joint committee in the course of 2020”. (Source: BrexitLegal.ie) Under the terms of the Protocol, Northern Ireland remains bound by EU single market rules for:
- Product requirements and safety, including chemical and medicinal safety
- Animal and plant health welfare
- Food safety and standards for animal products
- Farming standards